Warning: Attempt to read property "ID" on null in /srv/users/serverpilot/apps/richtertriallaw-production/public/wp-content/themes/richter/archive.php on line 16
Involved in a car accident? Richter Trial Lawyers | thegoodfirm has created this car accident checklist of things you should keep in mind when you’re involved in a car accident.
We suggest that even if you haven’t been involved in an accident, in order to keep yourself prepared, you should print this and keep it in your glove compartment with a pen and paper.
- Remain at the scene – If you drive away, you could be charged with leaving the scene of an accident, even if you are not at fault.
- Do not move your vehicle unless it is blocking traffic – Put on your hazard lights to warn other drivers.
- Assist anyone who is injured – Call an ambulance as soon as possible. Avoid moving an injured person as you might aggravate their injuries. Seek medical attention for your own injuries. Some injuries, such as whiplash, may not appear for hours or even days after the accident.
- Call the police – Co-operate fully with them. Get the badge number of the police officer(s) who attends the accident scene. Ask where you can get a copy of the accident report.
- Find witnesses – Record their names, addresses and telephone numbers. Ask them to stay and talk to the police. If they cannot, ask them to recount what they saw and write it down. If they are in a vehicle, record the license plate number.
- Exchange information – Record the names, addresses, driver’s license numbers and insurance particulars of all the drivers involved. Obtain the names and addresses of any passengers. Record the license plate numbers of all vehicles involved.
- Do not discuss fault – You should not discuss the accident with anyone except the police and your lawyer.
- Make detailed notes about the accident – Draw a sketch showing the position of each vehicle at the time of the accident. Write down any statements made by other drivers or passengers.
- Take photographs – Take pictures of the accident scene including damage to the vehicles, road signs, lights and skid marks on the road. If your cell phone is not equipped with a camera, it is advisable to keep a disposable camera in your vehicle.
- Take care of yourself and everyone in your car – If you have injuries or someone in the car does, make sure to get the treatment you or they need.
Once all of the above have been completed and you’re sure you’ve taken care of yourself and the other people in the car, choose to call Richter Trial Lawyers for a free consultation. Our personal injury team members may be reached at 604.264.5550 for a personal injury lawyer and make an appointment to discuss your options before reporting your claim to ICBC or your private insurance company.
Involved in a car accident? Richter Trial Lawyers | thegoodfirm has created this car accident checklist of things you should keep in mind when you’re involved in a car accident. We suggest that even if you haven’t been involved in an accident, in order to keep yourself prepared, you should print this and keep it […]